If you’re not so much leaping into the new year as dragging yourself grimly through the winter, then the dusty eye is for you. At Roberto Cavalli, models wore a feline eye with black liner across the top, and brown along the bottom lash line, with brown smudged gently up across the lid and down below the lashes. Rather than the vampy sexiness of a charcoal smoky eye, this adapted version suggests a more subtle exhausted elegance.
1. Clinique Pretty Easy Liquid Eyelining Pen-Brown £19.50, asos.com
2. Christian Louboutin Oeil Vinyle Ink Liner £58, harrods.com
3. TRINNY London Eye2Eye in Faith £18, trinnylondon.com
4. TOM FORD Eye Kohl in Onyx £29, tomford.co.uk
5. Perfect Shade Mysterious Doll in dark plum £6, perfectshade.co.uk
6. Guerlain Palette 5 Couleurs in L’Heure de Nuit £44.50, johnlewis.com
7. Decorte Eye Glow Gem in BR382 £25, selfridges.com
8. MAC Eyeshadow in I’m Into It £14, maccosmetics.co.uk
9. Charlotte Tilbury Colour Chameleon in Bronzed Garnett £19, charlottetilbury.com
10. Elizabeth Arden High Drama Eyeliner in Smokey Black £17, elizabetharden.co.uk
Custom is always right
The big word in beauty this year? Customisation. Look out for Clinique’s interchangeable iD Active Cartridges system and specialised skincare
from the Buff, while Schwarzkopf is trialling a device that detects the molecular structure and moisture levels of hair.
Cica, from the French word ‘to heal’, has been used for centuries to treat burns and irritated skin. And Google searches for it have risen by 800% since 2016. To heal winter skin, start with Decléor’s new Cica-Botanic Balm.
The spray we were
The way we apply perfume is changing. Andrea Rickard at the Perfume Shop told Harper’s Bazaar that Mugler Perfuming Pens and YSL Black Opium Clicks are a sell-out. This year look out for perfumed powders, solid sticks, cushions and tissues.
Email Eva at email@example.com or follow her on Twitter @EvaWiseman
This piece was amended on 14 January 2019 so that the price of TRINNY London Eye2Eye in Faith is £18
This article contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a reader clicks through and makes a purchase. All our journalism is independent and is in no way influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative.
The links are powered by Skimlinks. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that Skimlinks cookies will be set. More information.